By James Patrick
So, 2019 has begun and perhaps you’ve been with or have finally found someone that complements you in all the best ways, understands your unique brand of crazy and is willing to continue this life journey with you. Congratulations! You ask, “Can it last? Will it last? Should it last?” Well, that answer depends on the quality of life you are aiming to produce. Check out these 5 tips that will promote forward momentum and growth for any relationship.
1. Partner Up. Let’s face it. We can’t know it all or do it all on our own. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. It’s called being human. The key to success is our ability to be vulnerable with those we trust. Be willing to openly communicate your needs to determine how you can support each other’s individual dreams and goals. Establish a partnership that feeds passion and purpose.
2. Co-Create. Make time to generate a list of goals that you will pursue together. Within this partnership exists plenty of opportunities to challenge and push one another as you strive to attain common goals. Condition your relationship just as you would condition your body through exercise. It’s always better with a partner and someone to hold you accountable. Live the dream and come out stronger with a more optimistic perspective on the life that you’ve collaboratively designed.
3. Spend Time Apart. The time we spend apart can be equally important as the time we spend together. Remember, there was a life before this connection and that life should still remain intact. It’s part of our self-care which is necessary to maintain a healthy balance. Spend time with family and friends. Give yourself permission to experience your own adventures and have something new to talk about on that next date night or when you come home to your companion.
4. Show Gratitude. Life happens and it’s easy to get distracted by all things happening in our daily life. Do not take the meaningful connections in your life for granted. A sustainable relationship is one that creates value in someone else’s life as you create value in your own. Be sure to take a moment each day to express your appreciation and let them know they matter. “I see you and I thank you.” A little acknowledgement can go a long way and keeps that spark alive!
5. Stick it Out. Navigating the journey through any relationship isn’t always easy. The good and the bad are part of this package deal. There will be times to celebrate some epic accomplishments. There will also be obstacles that challenge and test the fortitude of our commitment to one another. When this happens, remember that the grass isn’t always greener. For the moment, stay put. Get to the root of the problem and determine what will make or break this bond. Be willing to do the work IF you both decide there is enough to keep this relation-ship sailing. You’ll be glad you did.
At the end of the day, be mindful of the relationships you choose as they will always provide the greatest “blessons,” have the potential to last a lifetime and may serve as the inspiration for generations to come. What is the precedent you will set? Be the example. Choose wisely!